Listen… I get it! Trying to get fit can be an emotional roller coaster…
If you’ve ever tried to lose weight, you’ve probably counted calories. And if you’re a woman, you’ve probably fixated yourself on consuming 1,200 calories per day. (Weird fact: the majority of women I’ve spoken to about how many calories she thinks she should eat per day says 1,200 for no apparent reason). It seems like women have just “heard” over the years this is the goal number, but I digress….
So, here’s my straight to the point list on why calorie counting doesn’t work:
- You probably don’t know your RMR (resting metabolic rate). This is what your body needs to function and stay alive. Without this baseline, everything is just guessing.
- Food labels are off by as much as 25% in either direction – that’s a HUGE variance!
- Your gym equipment is also off by as much as 25% (or more in some cases) with how many calories it’s telling you you’ve burned. (Between this and the food labels we could be off by 50%!)
- We all process and absorb food differently.
- 3,500 calories isn’t 1 pound of fat. Not all calories are equal. This thought process sets you up for failure.
As you can imagine, it can feel like you’re doing “everything right” and still not losing the weight. It’s pretty freakin’ discouraging… 🙈
This frustration is what often makes us think our metabolisms are broken, or we decide to resort to some crash diet, a million supplements, or even HCG injections.
Here’s what you need to know:
- The more you crash diet or lose and gain weight, the less calories you need to survive, so essentially your RMR goes down. Your body is adaptive like that. So no more crash dieting, ok? 🙂
- Focus on eating protein, fibrous carbs like fruits and veggies, good fats, and some high quality starchy carbs. Not only will you naturally decrease the number of calories you’re consuming while staying more full, but you’ll simultaneously increase the number of calories your body actually needs to digest the food!
- Unless you’re training for a competition, you don’t need carb or calorie cycling, special diets, or beat down workouts 5 days per week to lose weight. You need the right consistent efforts over time and a little patience.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. The body is a crazy unique thing, so what your friend is doing likely won’t have the exact same effect on you…expect it and focus on YOU.
- Weight loss truly occurs through a balance of good nutrition, strength and cardio training (I’ll show you how to do them together in minimal time!), proper sleep, stress management, hormonal balance, and hydration. So unsexy but so true.
It’s heartbreaking for me to watch so many people struggle because of the wrong approach.
Self-compassion also plays a HUGE role, so be sure to speak kindly to yourself always.
I want to teach you what you need to know to lose body fat and keep it off inside my Summer Sweat Studio 👇
let's make the most of our time together
all for less than $15 a month!
hey, I'm ashley!
I’m Ashley and I’m a fitness coach for women who are trying to get a handle on living healthy. It’s my passion and it’s my drive. More about me?
⭐ I like to get straight to the point and the cut through the BS
⭐ I love helping women find what works for them on their journey because no two bodies are the same
are you ready to get off the roller coaster and journey with me?
Fill out this form to join my Sweat Studio!